Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Retrieve to cache failed

Problem : User gets 'Retrieve to cache failed' error while trying to retrieve document from IS using IDM Desktop.
Solution : This error indicates that the document retrieval failed from MSAR to Page Cache.
1. Your Alternative IS Page Cache is not configured/spelled correctly.
2. Your Alternative IS Page Cache machine is not up and running.
3. Could be Network issue (Ping Cache machine to see if it is alive)
4. If you don't need the Alternative IS Page Cache at all, reset it to default (use the primary default one)
To access this Alternate IS Page Cache, follow this instruction path:
IDM Configure --> Additional Preferences... -> -> Alternative IS Page Cache --> Then either add the 3 part name or click Restore Default.
Note:
3 part name format: ::
e.g: page_cache2:Spot:FileNET

2 comments:

AT said...

I run a web app that uses IDM DT/WS API under the hood to serve up FileNet IS documents. I am seeing this error intermittently, but constantly. That is to say, I may get it on every 100th document being served, but serving 1000s of docuemnts, I see it every day. What do you think can account for such behavior? I know you said network issues, and I will look into that.

Also, are you 100% sure this is between MSAR and server cache - and not, for example, local cache on my web server?

Thanks in advance!

AT said...

Just to let you know, I think I fixed my issue. And I am pretty sure it was on the local box. The local cache grew out of control despite the config settings and was way over 1 Gb allotted (at over 4 Gb). I am surprised I was not seeing more errors.

Thanks for your post all the same.